Thursday, November 12, 2009

102. Go Ice Skating

This was not on the list, but it feels like a major oversight. So I am adding it regardless. Nate and I went ice skating at Bryant Park to celebrate our month anniversary. I can't believe it's been one whole month since the wedding. In many ways it feels like so much longer.
There has just been too much stuff going on to cram into four weeks. We were in Texas, had that joyful aftermath where we replayed the entire wedding over and over in our heads, then were done with that and proceeded to finish the registry, then I left my job (aaaaahhh! can't believe I've done this yet), and then Lizy was visiting us (and still is). All of which makes it seem like it was a lifetime ago when we packed our bags to go to Texas, rather than only 5 weeks. We'll run into people and they congratulate us on the wedding, and it feels odd, since I it seems like so much longer.
But back to ice skating. It's great, and I didn't fall. When we first moved to NY two years ago, we went ice skating in Prospect Park, which was nice because it was very close to our apartment. Also, we didn't know how the whole system worked in NY, regarding rentals, prices, etc. We meant to go to the Manhattan locations, I'm sure, but it didn't happen. So we figured next year, right? And then 2008/09 winter came and went, and we never made it ice skating. I'm not sure how that came to be. I think it has a lot to do with my unemployment and how shocked I was at being laid-off. I became ridiculously strict on what expenses I saw as superfluous, and in many ways I regret doing that, because you only live once, and savings are worth nothing if you deprive yourself of some basic distractions.

Not this year. We are determined to utilize NYC for everything it can offer, specially since the city prides itself on being magical around Christmas time. Whatever, I'm convinced people like December because it's not miserably cold like Jan/Feb is, it's just a mental trick.

Bryant Park is wonderful. Sure it's crowded and the throngs of little kids get in the way of my balance. But there is something amazing about skating outdoors, under the lights of the Central Library, and the Empire State. Talk about an amazing sense of place. And here I am rounding up the curve, I seem to be much better at staking than Nate. It must be that low center of gravity.


No comments:

Post a Comment