Wednesday, November 18, 2009

103. Expand the List - In progress

I've decided that I don't want to limit myself to the 101 List I made last year. It's an interesting dynamic, because I don't want to be trapped by the list, yet it is the very limitations of the project that makes the end game feasible.

Nevertheless. It's impossible to create a comprehensive list of 101 things you want to do. At best you get about 70 items you wanted to do and forget another 70. I continuously find myself in moments of remembering to do things because they're in the list. (and isn't that the very point of the project?). On the other hand, I also often find myself in a unique moment, having a wonderful experience, and I ask myself why the item was not in the list. And the only answer I can come up with is that it's hard to remember everything.

For the project to feel like part of life, it needs to be a fluid organic experiment. It might result in a few items getting left aside for new ventures, but I'll still try my best to complete the original 101 Things in the first 101 days. I think the sense of deadline is important, it gives the whole project a sense of purpose and completeness.

But I'll start adding more Things. It might be fun. It might make for good memories some years down the line.

No comments:

Post a Comment