Monday, November 9, 2009

48. Get Married



I don’t even know why this was its own category. It reminds me of when I used to make elaborate To Do lists that included taking a shower and having lunch, to make sure I had more things to check off and get a sense of accomplishment. I mean, the wedding had been scheduled for quite a few months, and it was going to happen no matter what.

But it was such a huge milestone, that it deserved its own checkpoint. What is it that they say about weddings? That they are the most important day of your life? Or is that Prom? I don’t know, but what I do know is the barrage of ladies magazines trying to sell me a princess dream was both exhausting and insulting. Though I admit to a moment of weakness after I got my hair done and was getting my make up when I actually said I felt like a princess. I believe there is digital footage of me saying this.

In the end Nate and I managed to have a beautiful low key day, where we spent a very reasonable amount of money, had some lovely food and drinks, and got to have our own personal feel to the party, and had a wonderfully organic and local outdoor celebration. Our parents largely stayed out of the way and helped us get what we wanted, and all our friends and family were incredibly supportive and fun to dance with.

Was it the best day of my life? I don’t think so, that would be such a presumptuous thing to say, and an implication that the best is over with. I prefer to think that it was magical day, so much more than I was expecting, and the best is yet to come!



No comments:

Post a Comment