Friday, November 8, 2013

32. Reach my WW goal weight

This week, I received my very own shiny coated WW key chain, with a star charm for reaching my GOAL WEIGHT and being eligible for a lifetime membership.  All I have to do is stay under (or within 2 lbs) of my "goal weight" for the next 6 weeks, getting weighed in every week, and after that I just have to go for monthly weigh-ins.

▲▲ My very own Weight Watchers award!

I love WW, and it seems to really agree with me.  Like many adult women living in the western world, I've had issues with food and body image for years, and often, I've felt out of control with my own stress eating.  WW gives me a means to exert some type of control over things, by giving a simple system for counting and substituting food choices.  

That sounded like a total advertisement.  But really, I recommend the programs to all the people I know who struggle with feeling in control of their weight and eating habits.

But how did I real "goal"?  I'm a bit embarrassed to admit that it's because I readjusted my expectations.  My "goal" had been my pre-wedding weight.  And back then I was walking everywhere (living in Brooklyn and all) and I was feeling very healthy.  So yeah, that was a totally unrealistic expectation.  Since then, I've moved back to car culture, I had a baby (hello changing body and metabolism!), and most importantly, I turned 30.  So I realized I was setting myself up for disappointment by having such an ambitious goal.  Right now, I'm at a healthy BMI, and I'm at a good weight, so I should just embrace myself as I am and feel accomplished.  My group leader helped me through this whole thought process, and we decided that my goal weight could be a bit higher, like where I am right now.

What I wasn't expecting is how overcome with emotion I'd feel when they congratulated me at the meeting and publicly gave me the reward charm.  I knew it they were gonna do it, I was expecting it, and yet holding in my hand I just felt so ... proud ... of myself.  Like I've accomplished something for real.   A goal that was difficult, and challenging, and yet reasonable and normal.  A goal that I now have the task of keeping for a lifetime. 

Blegh, I went totally cheese-ball there.  But this is a new feeling.  I accomplished something tangible related to my weight.  Whoope !



No comments:

Post a Comment