Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Covering "Learning New Skills"

Things are getting much better on the Daycare front.  We've turned a corner, and the drop-offs are no longer tragic.  LP isn't happy about being dropped off, but she's no longer crying when I leave.  I try to stick around for a few minutes after dropping her off and sneak a peak through the window, and I've even seen her *gasp* smiling and playing in there.  She's really enjoying it now. Good girl. 

Her school took class pictures last week, and we just ordered them online.  I am filled with the most bittersweet feeling as I see this group picture: LP sitting on a two level bench with the rest of her 7 classmates and her 2 teachers.  They're all calmly just sitting there, looking at the camera, some even smiling.  She also took individual portraits, where they brushed her three hairs, and placed her hands on her legs.  It looks so... posed, and absolutely awesome.  Incidentally, since that day whenever she sees a camera she says "cheese" and smiles.  We didn't teach her that.  She's part of the world now, learning things when we're not around, laughing and crying with other people, and it's amazing.  It's also given me a much needed sanity break to get back into my career path.  Slowly but surely.

Bu where was I?  Oh yeah, I want to finish this list badly.  So on to "Learning New Skills."

34. Learn to make origami cranes.  FAIL.  And this was an easy one too.  No excuses like.... oh, I was pregnant... blah, blah, blah.  I don't particularly know why I never just downloaded instructions online and made a crane, but alas, I didn't. 

39. Learn Michael Jackson's Thriller Dance.  FAIL.  Though I got pretty far with this one.  Turns out Thriller is hard, y'all.  Really hard.  There's a website that had a series of you tube videos designed to teach even those with two left feet, and I got about halfway through before life got the best of me.  I think it had something to do with living in Brooklyn in a junior one bedroom, so I didn't have, ahem, room to dance freely.  Yeah, that was it.  I will fix this one, I promise.  The Thriller dance needs to be learned, if only to have something weird to do at parties.

40. Take a dance lesson with Nate (Latin dancing).  FAIL  We didn't do it, but I don't feel too conflicted about it.  Scheduling a class is hard, specially when we had so many other things to do in NY, and then with the whole pregnancy and baby.... it's okay, we didn't get around to it within the deadline.  But I'm hoping that now that we're back in Texas, with more access to childcare, we'll be able to take a couple of classes here and there.  

41.  Take a wine tasting class.  DONE (sort of 12.2009 ).  Spirit of the law, my friend.  We didn't do wine tasting, but we did go to a Scotch tasting event where they actually explained the background on scotch and gave us some great samples for tasting.  

No comments:

Post a Comment