Monday, February 6, 2012

Where I cover items 13, 14 and 15

When they tell you that your life changes when you have kids, I think most of us underestimate the little things that really change.  Here I am, sitting in my parked car in front of my driveway, because LP finally fell asleep after about 45 minutes of rubbing her eyes sleepily.  Because she just won't sleep.  At all.  Until we drive around.  And usually I can transfer her to her bed with no problem, but right now I don't want to deal with the rain, or the possibility that she might stir awake and I'll have to pat her back and sing.  Also, LP has her usual stuffy nose, so she really sleeps better on her seat with her head elevated.  
At least that's what I tell myself, and my inner monologue is powerful, yo.

So on to continue this list, which I've promised myself will be addressed soon.  I've been thinking, actually, that I want to make a new list.  Maybe one of places to go, of the 365 things to do in Austin.  Whatever it is, it definitely needs to be more kid friendly, because that's just our new reality.

13.  See the Symphony.  boring!  And also, DONE on a technicality.  Actually, when I went to see the Opera, we didn't see a full production, but rather one of the seasonal previews.  This included some songs, but also purely instrumental pieces played by the NY philharmonic.  No stage productions or elaborate costumes, which I think should have disqualified it from "seeing the opera."  Too late for that, I'm not going back and taking #10 away, but I'm gonna go ahead and count it as #13 as well.  My game, my rules.

14. Go to a Kite Festival.  FAIL, though by no fault of my own.  Did you know that NYC doesn't really have a  good kite festival?  I believe there's a small one in Central Park, but I'm not even sure of that.  If there was, then it wasn't properly advertised.   The only one I knew about in all our time in NYC was a one time deal in Brooklyn, but it happened the weekend we were moving back.  Bad timing.
I love kite festivals, and am excited about taking LP to the on in Zilker Park (hopefully it will still be going on).  The big kites, elaborate and colorful, and also having our own rink- dinky piece of crap kite.  It's all part of the fun.

Sidebar.   I am no longer in the car.  It is now the evening.  Princess woke up from her car nap and we spent an exhausting afternoon looking at the rain from our warm living room.  Seems toddlers don't understand that it's nicer to be dry and comfy at home.  Who knew?  But back to the list.

15. Go to an Absinthe Bar.  FAIL.  But in the grand scheme of life, I'm not concerned about this because my friends tell me that there is an absinthe bar in Austin.  So it's just a matter of time before we go check it out.
Actually, I've been to an absinthe bar before, while backpacking in Europe with my architecture classmates.  Back when absinthe was illegal in the US, but you could find it in certain places in Europe.  I believe it was Spain, the Check Republic, and maybe some other Eastern European places?  That last part is irrelevant, since I was already in Barcelona.  It was an old school bar/cafe that I found on one of the travel guides, hiding away on the under-lit streets of the Barri Gotic.  My friends thought I'd made it up, and I admit to fearing we were lost before we found the art nouveau-ish establishment that looked to be about 100 years old.  Awesomeness.  
Absinthe is pretty gross anyway, even when mixed with sugar (which you're supposed to do for taste and to help it absorb in your system.)  I hear the place in Austin serves cocktails, which I'm curious about.

By the way.  Apparently there was a problem with my comments.  I believe it's been fixed now, and you should be able to leave comments by clicking on "comments" below.

No comments:

Post a Comment