Saturday, May 8, 2010

42. Make a Passover Meal

I got the idea of making a Passover Meal only after moving to the NYC area.  Previously, I had lived in predominantly catholic and/ or protestant communities, so though I was very aware of Jewish Holidays and festivities, I wasn't quite so... immersed in it. 

All that changed once I moved to Brooklyn.  There is a very strong Jewish community here, both from the fundamentalist end and the casual practitioner.  I mean, you can't help but be aware of when Passover is happening, it's kinda everywhere.

So I decided that I wanted to make matzo ball soup from scratch, and for the main dish, salmon with a side of potato kugel.  I really didn't have the time or patience to make proper brisket, so fish it'd have to be.  Not being Jewish myself, I wasn't particularly anal about keeping it strictly Kosher, but I was going to make the best effort short of buying bizarre ingredients never to be used again.

The matzo ball soup was delicious, and surprisingly easy to make.  Surprising to me I guess, apparently its well known that its just dough balls in broth.  But man it was good, and very filling.  The main dish.... not so much, which is why I don't have pictures to immortalize it.  The potato kugel was seriously  lacking in flavor and texture, to blame directly on the recipe I found. Not my fault, for real, that was just a yucky recipe. And the salmon was good and all, but in reality I seasoned the way I always cook it, so there wasn't anything inherently passoverish about it.

The matzo ball recipe is a keeper though, I'm definitely making that again.

No comments:

Post a Comment