I'd had this little tune stuck in my head for about 6 weeks now. It was like a nagging pebble on my brain shoe, I kept playing it over and over in my head, convinced that I had heard it in the Smurfs cartoon as a kid, but unable to place it.
Of course, since I have many OCD tendencies, I embarked on a thankless search through the Internet. I found a listing of all the classical music in the Smurfs soundtrack (which is a lot), and proceeded to YouTube the individual songs. Then when this didn't seem to work, I started watching Smurfs cartoons, but of course there aren't enough clips to have a representative sample. And when this proved futile as well I found a website with 15 second clips of the most famous/popular songs in the classical realm. It was actually really fun to listen to all of them and finally put some names to the melodies. There were so many songs that we just "know". They are part of the soup.
I found it eventually, much to my disbelief. It's the Hungarian Dance 5 by Jonannes Brahms.
Now that I've found, it feels surreal. It's almost like finding this song was a mission, a project, and an excuse to really learn more about classical composers and styles. And now? Should I still listen to Bach, and Beethoven, and friends?

The worse thing is, I can't find any proof on the net that Hungarian Dance 5 was ever on the Smurfs cartoon. Which really makes me wonder where I know the song from, why it was stuck in my head to begin with, specially with such a childhood association.
Of course, since I have many OCD tendencies, I embarked on a thankless search through the Internet. I found a listing of all the classical music in the Smurfs soundtrack (which is a lot), and proceeded to YouTube the individual songs. Then when this didn't seem to work, I started watching Smurfs cartoons, but of course there aren't enough clips to have a representative sample. And when this proved futile as well I found a website with 15 second clips of the most famous/popular songs in the classical realm. It was actually really fun to listen to all of them and finally put some names to the melodies. There were so many songs that we just "know". They are part of the soup.
I found it eventually, much to my disbelief. It's the Hungarian Dance 5 by Jonannes Brahms.
Now that I've found, it feels surreal. It's almost like finding this song was a mission, a project, and an excuse to really learn more about classical composers and styles. And now? Should I still listen to Bach, and Beethoven, and friends?

The worse thing is, I can't find any proof on the net that Hungarian Dance 5 was ever on the Smurfs cartoon. Which really makes me wonder where I know the song from, why it was stuck in my head to begin with, specially with such a childhood association.
No comments:
Post a Comment