Friday, October 18, 2013

Have an awesome unique date with Nate


I know in one of my previous lists, I had part about potential fun activities with Nate.  And in this edition, I haven't really included any.  Mistake?  Freudian slip? Realistic expectations on what our schedules are like with a kid?  Who knows.

What I do know is that last week we celebrated our FOURTH wedding anniversary.  Which is not that long in the grand scheme (what are four years in a lifetime, right), not a particularly symbolic number, but considering that LP was born 5 days before our first anniversary, we've just never fully taken the time to do something special.   So this year we went for it.

Nate booked a couples massage session for us at Milk + Honey, a very cool spa in the heart of the 2nd street district.   Just a regular Swedish full body massage (actually, Nate might have gone for a deep tissue, now that I think about it).  And holy moly, I did not realize how many knots I had on my shoulders.  Actually, I suspected that the daily grind of cubicle work was taking a toll on my back, but it's still nice to get the tension out. 

I might have fallen asleep while I was on the massage table.  I don't know, I was just relaxed.

▲▲ Before, in the spa supplied bathrobes.

▲▲  I had this fascination with the never ending mirrors in the changing rooms.  Also, their showers had a steam bath option.  My pores feel rejuvenated.

▲▲  After. Look at us, all relaxed and happy.  We might even look 5 years younger.

Afterwards we stayed in the 2nd street area, had dinner at Taverna, and took a lovely long walk afterwards exploring all the ways that district has changed in the last few years.  Seems La Zona  Rosa is closing down, which is not surprising, but seeing the building shell with some corporate developer signage in front was very strangely nostalgic.  This might have been the final straw that's making me realize that MY Austin is changing, and the forces of change might be taking away many of the quirky unique places that make it so special.  Or maybe this just means that I'm officially getting old and reminiscent about the good ole' days.  You know what they say, "Things aren't what they used to be, then again, they never were."