Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Baking Project:3rd Birthday Cake


LP is turning 3. My baby girl is turning THREE!  Like a proper full-on kid.

I know I'm probably jinxing everything in my life, but I am liking each passing month with her more and more.  It seems that as a whole, I should be mourning how fast time flies, admonish her to stop growing already, and wax philosophical about how her babyhood is gone. But F that, I'm loving the toddler/preschooler stage.  She can talk now, express her wants and needs, state her preferences, and mostly, she plays, makes jokes and is a fully realized person that's fun to be around.   Thinking back on her dependent, non-communicative baby days?  *shudder* that was so much harder to deal with.

For her birthday we're having two celebration.  She will have a proper birthday party at our house (actually, it'll be our first hosting event at the new place) with family and friends.  There will hopefully be a separate blog entry for that, because I'm planning on going nuts with the crafts and decorations.  So fun!

But we also wanted to have a special activity for her school.  LP has been attending a preschool, which also offers after school care.  And it's a strange feeling, but she has friends there that I don't really know.  I mean, sometimes I interact with some of the kids or parents during drop-off and pick up, but some of the part-time kids?  I couldn't pick them up of a line up if my hand depended on it.  But I digress, the point is that we wanted to celebrate with her school friends as well, so we figured we'd bring the party to them.

Just something small, a cake, some balloons and bubbles for everyone.  LP and I made the cake together, and we cheated a bit by using a boxed mix.  But whatever, it's just flour, sugar and baking soda and it saves some time.  The best and fun part was the decorations (thank you Pinterest!).

▲ Frost the whole cake with white frosting.  We used plain vanilla, from a container to save time.
▲ Cut a number out of butcher paper.  We actually used old drafting paper from back in the architecture school days.  The important thing is that it be somewhat waxy

▲Place paper cutout at desired location


▲ Go to town with covering the rest of the white cake with sprinkles.  This is really fun to do with a kid.  Though I recommend doing it on a table cloth to make clean up easier, our balls ended up rolling all over the table and subsequently the floor.  ▼



▲▲ Remove the paper cutout, and patch the frosting if necessary.  In our case, it came off pretty seamlessly, so we just left is as it was rather than risk ruining the effect in any way.

ENJOY!