Sunday, February 6, 2011

We meet again ARE's

I am once again in full study mode for my Architectural Registration Exams.  Supposedly, I've been doing it for a couple of weeks at least, but I spent all that time making sure I had a clear desk in which to work.  I'm telling you, I need a clean space to concentrate.

The architect I had been telecommuting with seems to have disappeared.  Many emails went unanswered, and three phone calls later, he claims that he's just gotten a couple of new projects and will be needing my design and drafting help soon.  Right...  I tell him I'm ready and then nothing happens.  I understand on his end that the snopocalypse has been hard on small businesses.  But guess what?  I am a small business too- an architect-in-training seeking part-time employment from home.  At least he was able to count the last 6 months I've been working for him toward my IDP hours.  Now we play the waiting game, architect who will give me design work soon...

Meanwhile, I have decided to make myself professionally useful.  Therefore, I will be taking another ARE soon.  I'm not sure if it was a good idea to get back on this endeavor with a 4 month old baby, but I am determined to feel like a career woman.  I can have it all, dammit!  I will not let a poopie child who needs constant play and attention stop me from my professional goals.

Of course, day to day, it's hard to be motivated.  Studying is boring, while playing and feeding your own baby is just divine.  Maybe I am better suited for domesticity than I thought.

Next up: Construction Documents and Services Exam.  I am determined to not fall asleep every time I open my study guide. My goal is to schedule the test in about 2 months.  By that point LP will be 6 months, and I will be less concerned if we have to slip her a bottle of formula here and there.  Mommy has to torture herself by taking a *insert cuss word* test to be a licensed architect.

No comments:

Post a Comment