I keep hearing about this concept of nesting that's supposed to signal that labor is imminent. A sudden burst of energy that makes mom-to-be eager to clean out drawers, scrub floors and reorganize the baby nursery. And as much as it sounds like a bunch of bologna, I'm hoping against all hope it hits me soon.
The last few weeks of pregnancy are leaving me tired. Not just the regular afternoon slump, but an all around exhaustion that's hard to shake, and makes it difficult to be productive throughout the day. My mother and our OB have told me to take it easy and not be so hard on myself, but its hard to not feel defeated when all I want to do is sleep all day. Its a good thing I don't have a full time job; I don't know how I'd do it.
We still need to organize the nursery. We have things in drawers, but they have no logic whatsoever, and we still have things in their original packaging or the gifts bags we got them in. What's needed is a solid day to sort through infant clothes and separate them into sizes and functions, put all the blankets together, wash the onesies and underwear, and make sure all the diapering stuff is accessible.
It doesn't seem like much, but it needs to get done. So far, I've been waiting to get the energy, hoping that some type of initiative will come from within. That's what they say nesting is like. Though deep down inside (not that deep), I am convinced that "nesting" is a bunch of BS. I believe the books when they say that shortly before birth, mom gets a burst of energy preparing her for the long arduous process of labor. I'm even with them when they say that this energy is good and makes mom want to "do" things. I just don't believe them when they tell me that this will translate to a desire to clean. Who cleans and organizes drawers when they have energy?
If I got a burst of energy, I would go walking outside, take pictures, organize my Flickr account. Finish my portfolio, work on the graphics for my architecture website, go to the museum.... oh, the places you can go...
I don't see myself getting that last hurrah of energy and choosing to scrub floors. Maybe nesting is real, maybe next week I'll be super excited to wash all the baby clothes and have manic moments of dusting. I sure hope so, for my sake.

No comments:
Post a Comment