Wednesday, August 25, 2010

98. Visit 3 (new) countries (2/3)


Lima, Huaca Pucllana.  July 2010
I think this category was a bit too ambitious.  Or maybe it was just alright before our lovely addition to the family forced us to change our ability to vacation.  I mean, if I hadn't found out we were pregnant, I'm sure we would have gone somewhere else this summer.  Not just because traveling abroad is hard while one is expecting, but also because we've had to really think of how we are spending Nate's vacation time.  We need to maximize his days off at home with the new baby, and though unpaid leave is always an option and something his company allows, we'd rather not take too much of that.  Fiscal responsibility is important in new parents, after all.  :)

Instead I will choose to focus on how, since I started to 1001 days countdown, Nate and I have gone to Peru twice!  That's twice abroad in a year and a half!  Not bad.

I also need to remember that to me these trip don't feel like I'm going "abroad", since I'm going home.  But to Nate it IS visiting a new place, and adjusting to the language culture, food, sights, etc.  And in that sense, we've had two trips out of the country.  

Lima, Puente de los Suspiros - Dec 2009
Its funny though, because both trips had very family based reasons for going, so we haven't gotten to travel in the country all that much.  First trip was our own wedding and honeymoon and the beach, second trip was my cousins wedding and our own baby shower. 

Nate has been to Peru twice and still hasn't seen Cuzco.  Which is a shame, but we accept the fact that the Inca ruins (including Machu Picchu) have been around for centuries, and a few more years  or waiting won't hurt anyone.  On the other hand, getting to know you new wife's family and culture and getting a sense of where she comes from?  priceless.


No comments:

Post a Comment