When I first moved to Brooklyn, exactly two years ago, one of my biggest fears was how I would deal with the cold winter. Before packing up, I asked people for advice, for tips, but we were all in Texas and had no context for what an actual winter could be. Well, some people did, and they very nicely said that so long as you have a good winter coat, gloves and a hat, you get used to it after a while.
Liars. I mean, it was a well intended thought, and I admit I'm more tolerant of the bitter freezing temperatures than I thought possible, but used to it? No way.
It's not just that the cold air on my skin is painful, that it gets dark so early, and the sense of gloom associated with winter. It's that if I want to go to the corner store for an errand, I have to put on: thick socks, shoes, jeans (maybe tights underneath? depends how far I'm going), tank-top, long sleeved shirt, sweater, winter coat, scarf, hat and gloves. And THAT whole process is a pain in the neck. Specially if after you have everything but the hat you realize you need to put something in your purse, and then moving around the apartment with all the outdoor winter gear is way to hot, so you start removing items before putting them on again right before leaving. That last part might just be my absentmindedness, but I swear I never had this problem of getting out the door in the middle of summer.
I'll survive it. I know I will. This is my third winter, and though it still sucks, it does get marginally easier. I now know that spring in the City is gorgeous, and that summer is truly sticky and hot. And I keep those memories when I walk around outside and begin losing feeling on my cheeks, the only part of my body not bundled up.
I often feel that I look like the Michelin Man, and take comfort in the fact that probably everyone else feels the same way.


No comments:
Post a Comment