Thursday, December 3, 2009

82. Go an Architectural Lecture


I rarely go to architecture lectures.

I made an exception in honor of the Barnes Foundation, in Philadelphia, for which Nate had done some engineering through his office. He was excited to see how the design was progressing, and how some issues had been resolved.

It was interesting, and I really enjoyed Williams and Tsien. They seemed down to earth and to have a good grasp of the design challenged they faced, as this is a very controversial assignment. I don't want to get into the design itself. I enjoyed their process and their presentation, but I don't know enough about to it fully form a criticism or opinion.

What it all comes down to, is that I don't enjoy architecture lectures. When I was in school I attributed this to lack of sleep and free time. How could I concentrate on other people's prestigious ideas when I had barely enough time to catch a meal and finish my own assignments? Then, upon graduating, when I had more time for leisure activities, I still did not go to lectures.

Sure, I kept telling myself that I should, that I actually really wanted to. And somehow, I could make time for travel, friends, movies, Internet, concerts, and found no opportunity to sneak by UT and catch a part of their lecture circuit.

After going to the Williams Tsien talk, I've come to realize that I find the lecture attending experience simply draining. Rather than be energized by new advances in my profession and inspired by how other have addresses complex design challenges, I instead feel anxious and unmotivated. It's like everything has been done before, by someone else who did it quicker and better than I could expect. I don't know where I fit into this design process, or what steps I need to take to get there. Hell, I'm not even sure "where" is. I get a sense that my profession is passing me by and I don't know how to get on the train. Or worse, that there was a train entrance and I missed it for some dumb reason, and I'm just running alongside it watching everyone else in the comfort of their seats. I've seen the movies. The person running for the train rarely catches it, specially if they are wearing cute heels.

It's different when I attend talks or meetings about planning and urban issues. Those make me curious, alive, and I end up with very interesting reading lists of what's going on out there. I come out with a sense of purpose and renewed excitement for things. Is this just architecture's fault? Does this mean that I am not interested in design? Or is this as simple as acknowledging that architects, in general, are just not good public speakers. What is it that energizes me, I wonder.

I have ideas, but they shall be for another time.


No comments:

Post a Comment